Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Reflection on Oral Presentation

Related to the presentation we led this Thursday, I thought each of the team members was very well prepared. We did rehearse for this final presentation. Now, I'm gonna write a bit more on my own part of the presentation, by highlighting the strengths and weaknesses it could have had :

My strengths

I think I was quite well prepared. I knew my material very good, and that allowed me to clearly point out the solutions and go straight to the main goals.

About the design of the slides, I think it was really clear and concise. The less you write, the better  it is. And as I knew the content perfectly, I didn't really spend time looking at the "screen" to see if I was on the right slide. I think this is a strength.

I wasn't disturbed by the remote, and never pointed it towards the screen, which is a natural reflex I know. The remote is very useful because it allows you not to take care of the keyboard for switching the slides.

The last strength I will enlighten is the clarity of my English. I think everyone understood what I meant. And it is partly caused by the fact that I definitely wanted to slow down the flow, and to make some pauses sometimes. I think it is effective for people to analyze and get what you say.

My weaknesses

The fact that I walked a bit, going back and forth, during the presentation was deliberate. Apparently some people thought it was disturbing (maybe for the person who was filming the presentation). Indeed I think it depends on the space you dispose. On a huge and long stage, it is appropriate. But in small areas such as the classroom, maybe it is not. So I will adapt it according to the space I have.

I thought our presentation was missing a touch of humor. Usually, I love making fun and doing some jokes during a presentation. But this time, I deliberately tried to be serious as it was a particular issue which you could not really make fun of. However, you should have smiled a bit more. It is the essence of a good presentation to make the audience feel comfortable.

Always I was trying to make it look like a Steve Jobs Keynote : pure, simple, clear and sober. He was definitely amazing at presenting.

That's all for my personal analysis of the performance. Should you guys have any comments or suggestions on it, please feel free to comment.

All the best for your coming examinations or projects, and see you on Monday.

Cheers

8 comments:

  1. Hi Guillaume,

    Congratulations, your performance was good and I think that everybody could have noticed that your groupe was ready thanks to the rehearses.

    For your strengths, you did not look your slides when you were speaking. That proves that you knew your material really well. Your presentation was fluent and I think that you were really confident in what you said.

    I was a little bit surprised by your walk during the presentation but it didn't disturb. Nevertheless, the fact that you were really formal, maybe too much, disturbed me. I prefer when you use your humor like in Biotechnology presentations last year^^. As usual, your slides were good.

    See you around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Max for your feedback.

    Indeed I tried to imitate our friend Tim Cook (and Stevy as well) by walking. It could have seemed strange for you who know that I'm usually stuck in my shoes. I wanted to change a bit, to experience new non-verbal communication.

    And I did notice later that I was too strict, too concentrated maybe. And obviously I could have said some jokes or done some funny gestures, as I'm used to doing, especially with Yves Markowicz (the Bio-Bible). Next time I will do many jokes and many strange gestures. Well that's good as the next presentation is next week ahah.

    Congrats for Vinci by the way.

    Have a good interview

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Guillaume!

    You were good in the presentation that day! I see a great improvement from your previous peer-teaching lesson and comparatively, you are so much more confident and better prepared this time round. One thing for sure is that your speech is fluent, there were no form of stuttering and despite a few stumbles here and there, you managed to pick it rather quickly and beautifully. So it's good!

    However, I noticed you tend to apologise when you make a mistake, like forgetting your lines. I think it's okay if you don't apologise and just pause for a little to think through clearly what you want to say. Just a simple thought on my part, I don't know if its correct. Also, I thought the walking was okay if only there were more spaces.

    Nonetheless, you did really well that day and thanks for smiling into the video while I was shooting! :D

    Cheers,
    Maple

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maple.

    Thanks for your comment.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Guillaume!

    You delivered the presentation very well! You spoke fluently, clearly and straight to the point. Well, you looked more serious than usual but I thought that was just your group's way to present the OP. As for walking around, I think you could walk further in class as long as the slide didn't have much information (i.e. a slide consists of pictures with minimum text).
    Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa.

      Thanks for your comment. Like I said, I tried to be serious by purpose.
      Moreover, I should have walked further indeed. The slides were pretty sober and not too dense so it wouldn't have been bad to walk in front of them.

      See you on Thursday.

      Cheers

      Delete
  6. Hey Guillaume!

    It was clear that you had prepared well for the presentation! You had great eye contact, voice projection and gestures. I like the way you speak; it was very clear and steady. In addition, your group adopted a new approach of presentation (something which I feel is rarely adopted by students): rather than standing on the spot, you were pacing up and down the class as you spoke. However, there was insufficient space at the front of the classroom and you appeared to be pacing up and down too frequently. Nevertheless, this will be an effective style when presented with a bigger stage. It helps to keep the audience focused.

    Overall, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Guillaume,

    I guess you've gotten it all figured out on your post.

    I think the pacing did little harm so its fine but I guess what some mean is that in your topic's real situation, chances are that you would be presenting in a conference room standing by a round conference table where the audience are sitting around, hence the skepticism.

    In any case, well done.

    ReplyDelete